33 books to go!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Texas Gothic (Rosemary Clement-Moore)

****

         Amy Goodnight is one normal girl in a family full of witches.  Her mom, sister, and aunts all embrace their abilities, but Amy prefers to separate herself from the supernatural.  She accepts a summer job ranch-sitting for her aunt in Texas hoping that it will bring her away from her family's crazy antics.  Instead, Amy arrives just as a dead body is discovered at a construction site near the ranch.  People are being mysteriously injured and rumors of a violent ghost are spreading through town.  Worst of all, the infuriatingly cute cowboy next door is sure that the Goodnights have something to do with it.

         Texas Gothic was an awesome mystery/ghost story - I plowed right through it in a few days.  It had all of the right elements: cool characters, an architectural dig, a family feud, and a little romance on the side.  Plus, there were nice unexpected twists and it was super-creepy in a good way.  Granted, it doesn't take too much to creep me out, but whatever.  I stayed up late reading this book even though it kind of freaked me out when I did.  It was worth it, because the story was so interesting and I was dying to know what was coming next.  If you're in the mood for a great ghost mystery, I would definitely recommend this book.

Rating: 4/5
Completed: July 31, 2012

It's supposed to be lovely and sunny and warm this week.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to enjoy it much, as today was the first day of school.  This seems to happen every year in my town: it's chilly when we get out of school in early June, but gorgeous when school starts again at the end of August.  Someone should seriously rethink this system.  Has school started for you yet (assuming you do, in fact, go to school)?  Are you excited, indifferent, or dreading it?  Post in the comments - you don't need to be a follower to do it!

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the structure of magical and the magical world in this book! I thought it was pretty unique for something that is so well covered in general in teen books.

    ReplyDelete

It's not as scary as it looks! I promise . . .