33 books to go!

Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky)

***

         High school freshman Charlie is shy and socially awkward, trying to find his place in a world of people nothing like him.  He ends up settling into a group of older students.  Loyal friends Patrick, Sam, and Mary Elizabeth help Charlie navigate his first drink, kiss, and Rocky Horror Picture Show - and help him figure out who he is and what's important to him.

         This book has gotten rave reviews from a lot of people.  A lot of people.  I really felt like I should have loved it, but I didn't.  That's not to say I didn't like it - it was an interesting story.  However, I didn't feel like Charlie's voice resonated with me.  It was a little childish and seemed unrealistic at times.  People talk about this book as really capturing the teenage experience, but Charlie's not an average teenager, and that definitely comes across in what he says and does.  On the other hand, he does capture that overarching feeling of not fitting in.  Charlie has a strong voice (regardless of my personal feelings about it).  I'm glad I read this book both because it was an interesting story and because now I know what everybody is talking about when The Perks of Being a Wallflower is mentioned.

Rating: 3/5
Completed: July 13, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's not as scary as it looks! I promise . . .