33 books to go!

Friday, February 22, 2013

Shades of Earth (Beth Revis)

**

         Amy and Elder have finally landed on Centauri Earth and are ready to create their new lives there.  Upon arrival, they realize that their new home isn't all it was cracked up to be.  The shipborns don't get along with the frozens (who are now essentially in charge of the operation), and Amy is torn between the two groups.  It is essential that they find common ground, however, because the colony is under attack by strange aliens.  In a new world where it isn't safe to walk anywhere alone, Amy and Elder are determined to discover the secrets that are threatening their lives - including secrets that Amy's father may be keeping from them.

         I really enjoyed the first two books in this series, but Shades of Earth just didn't live up to my expectations.  It was super freaky, the kind of book I prefer to read during the daylight hours.  What with the creepy aliens, mysterious weapons, and sinister powers, the whole thing was pretty hard-core sci-fi.  I didn't mind the sci-fi elements of the first two books, but this was just too much.  Also, I found the ending upsetting.  Very upsetting.  Like I said, too much all at once.  Someone who was more into sci-fi might like this book, but I couldn't handle it.  I was so excited to find out what happened to everyone once the Godspeed landed.  In the end, though, I'm not sure that finding out was worth it.

Rating: 2/5
Completed: January 25, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's not as scary as it looks! I promise . . .