33 books to go!

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Lies, Knives, and Girls in Red Dresses (Ron Koertge)

***

         Lies, Knives and Girls in Red Dresses is a collection of fairytale retellings written in free verse.  It includes a modern take on everything from Cinderella to Bluebeard with a dark twist.

         As you probably have figured out, I love a good fairytale retelling.  I sped through this collection, although I'd have to say that it wasn't my favorite.  Some of the stories had a cool or creepy side to them that is vaguely reminiscent of the original tales.  (Have you read any of the Grimm brothers' stories?  They're no Disney movie, I'll tell you that.)  I found that I couldn't really connect to the characters well, though - probably because each story was no more than a few pages long.  This was a good collection, but it didn't particularly stand out to me.

Rating: 3/5
Completed: November 10, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's not as scary as it looks! I promise . . .