33 books to go!

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Bittersweet (Sarah Ockler)

***

         Hudson used to be a great figure skater, but she hasn't competed since her dad betrayed her family and left them.  Now she bakes cupcakes at her mom's failing small-town diner and tries to accept spending the rest of her life working there.  Lately, though, Hudson has been feeling trapped.  She's been making secret excursions to the frozen lake to skate and think about the future she could have had.  Then Hudson gets a letter in the mail inviting her to compete for a skating scholarship.  She realizes that it's her final chance to make her dreams come true.  The only problem is that her childhood dreams don't fit easily into the life that Hudson is living now.

         This was a good chick-lit novel, but not outstanding.  It's been a while since I read it, so I don't really remember much.  I only know that I wasn't a huge fan of the ending.  It felt a little abrupt to me, as though Hudson hadn't developed enough as a character or as a person to make the decision that she made.  Bittersweet was kind of a cookie-cutter book, but as I've said before, that's not always a bad thing.  If you like chick-lit, you'll definitely like this - but I wouldn't recommend that you go out of your way to read it if chick-lit isn't usually your thing.

Rating: 3/5
Completed: August 31, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's not as scary as it looks! I promise . . .