33 books to go!

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Divergent (Veronica Roth)

*****

         In dystopian Chicago, Beatrice Prior is about to make a decision that will determine her future.  Every year, all of the sixteen-year-olds in the city must choose the faction that they wish to join.  Though most teens stick with the faction they were born into, some decide to join one of the other factions. To help decide their fate, Beatrice and her peers take an aptitude test that tells them the faction to which they are best suited.  The catch?  Beatrice's test is inconclusive, an outcome that is more dangerous than she might have guessed.  Now she has to choose her future faction on her own - and figure out how to hide the fact that she is Divergent.  
         
         This book was amazing!  I had heard great things about it, but I never guessed it would be this awesome.  It was fast-paced and full of action.  I read in all my free time and late into the night, always thinking "just one more page".  Roth gave just enough information that I could guess at what would happen next, but always added some unexpected element.  The characters were diverse and real.  I really connected to Beatrice - every time her adrenaline spiked, I could feel my heart pounding.  The whole book was fantastic and captivating.  It's a little early in the year to be saying this, but this will probably be one of the best books I read in 2012.  Divergent deserves a full five stars, and I can't wait until Insurgent is released!


Rating: 5/5
Completed: January 22, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's not as scary as it looks! I promise . . .